Thursday 29 September 2011

To Git, Or Not To Git

After being introduced to GitHub (www.github.com) a few weeks ago, I thought that things were pretty straight forward and easy to use, that is until you actually start doing some work of course. 

The Git Bash tool, used to communicate with the Git server and to organized your branches and repositories, uses many different commands to do these things which I found very difficult to remember when it came down to working with them.

Luckily Git provides lots of support and guides to help new users like me along.  Here are some which I found helpful.

http://help.github.com/ - The main hub of information on all things Git
http://help.github.com/git-cheat-sheets/ - A compilation of cheat sheets and quick guides to using the bash commands.

I found these resources very helpful and I thought I would share.

2 comments:

  1. To git bro. There's Git GUI, or plugins for IDEs that makes your life easy, there is no need to use the bash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good help links for github.com....

    It's always a pain to get used to something new, but its suppose to make our lives easier...

    Professor Humphrey said, "If there is one thing that you will thank me for is for teaching git"

    ReplyDelete